Saturday, December 10, 2022

Arab begged for alms on Lagos streets in the 80s


 There was a time in the 1980s when we had so many Arabs in our midst in Lagos. They were clearly Arabs, their looks very unmistakable.


They were usually very fair in complexion, with curly hair, long nose and with the very distinctive quality of LAZINESS of the ARABS.


They were probably Bedouin Arabs from somewhere towards the middle east.


Their major occupation was to find a corner of your city  breed children like idiots and as soon as the children were able to walk they  unleashed them and their mothers on the streets to BEG FOR ALMS.


The men just laid down very annoyingly and lazily somewhere to sleep and wait for returns from their family members roaming the fields.


And they kept on the job of procreating for the main purpose of BEGGING FOR ALMS.


One of those days, one of their wives put to bed and with disgusting audacity brought out the child IMMEDIATELY, EVEN WITH THE BLOOD STILL DRIPPING ALL OVER THE BABY, TO BEG FOR ALMS.


It happened at the Mile 2 Busstop on the Lagos-Badagry expressway in Lagos.


It was such a disgusting sight, I will never forget it.


I was in junior classes in secondary school then.


Nigeria Economy wasn't too bad then and being who we have always been, we  rushed to pour money and gift on the baby.


The scene registered on my mind.


No long after, sometime in 1987/88, I was already in the University, I saw another set of same Arabs in our Amuwo-Odofin  Estate.


My mother was then trying hard to please my father so she was always at the local Mosque and doing everything to be active in the Mosque.


Those guys came to the Mosque, about Five (5) of them.


Long before then I had already made up my mind on Religion matter..I told myself then, as far back as 1984 when I was 14years old that it could NEVER be the truth.


My spirit just refused to agree with the two Religions.


Before my eyes, in the Mosque that day, those Five men presented themselves as "Messengers of Islam" who came from far away. They started speaking in Arabic [ their LANGUAGE O ] and my people, Fathers and Mothers to us, men of high status in the society then, started shivering and rushing to please those guys.


They stayed more than two days or so and I can't remember now if they lived inside the Mosque or were given Accomodation somewhere else but I know I was seeing them in the Mosques for days.


They led the prayer and delivered the sermon for that period


I think that was the last time I ever entered a mosque to pray. My mind was never in it anyway.


What the hell!!!!


Would those IDIOTS have accepted any of those guys same way in their own lands?


I have never forgotten that occurrence and with benefit of hindsight now I understand how our people were herded into Slavery by ancestors of those Barbarians.


And it is still happening.


I can understand a Black man who is Fulani or  Kanuri calling himself a Muslim but what would be the motivation for a YORUBA MAN?????????


I don't understand these things. They are very annoying.


#WeHaveMissedRoad.


Adedamola Adetayo



Credit Arabirin Sola 


No comments:

Post a Comment